Here is another of our guest bloggers this week! By: Alice Larson, Grade 4, Beals Elementary
Why is breakfast important? Breakfast helps you get a great start to your day.
What happens if you skip breakfast? Your body will not function right.
What is your favorite breakfast? My favorite breakfast is an omelet containing mushrooms, cheese, and peppers, along with toast, fresh fruit and milk.
- 1 ½ c nonfat milk
- ½ c orange juice
- 1 c old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 c fresh or frozen rhubarb (cut into ½ in. pieces)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 T brown sugar or agave
- 2 T chopped nuts (optional)
- Combine milk, juice, oats, rhubarb, cinnamon and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, cover and cook at gentle bubbling. Stir frequently until the oats and rhubarb are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in sweetener to taste. Top with nuts (optional).